Wednesday, September 21, 2011

So Proud!!!

Troy and my niece, Anaka, started Tae Kwon Do a few weeks ago and both have really enjoyed it. I have just loved every minute. I was not familiar with it at all but learned about the class last Spring. I was always fascinated with martial arts but never had any opportunity as a child to ever take a class. My sister was very happy about this since she was afraid that I would have learned to fight back and kick her tail for all the abuse I took! I never lost interest so when I found out about it, I became *that* parent. Let me live vicariously through my child. Luckily, we were allowed to go and observe a class back in the summer and Troy LOVED it. Absolutely loved it and wanted to start the next day. He asked about it daily and it was so sad when I would have to say "Not today buddy".
I have been amazed at the class. He is teaching them respect first and foremost and also self control and discipline. He stresses being good at school and at home and that's even part of how they earn stripes on their belt which leads to the next level. Troy has his moments of course, but the minute I say "Is that what  you would do in Tae Kwon Do...", he changes his tune. It's been a wonderful experience so far and I can just see the excitement building in Troy about moving forward.
The first hurdle was earning their white belts. To do this, they had to recite the class creed in front of the entire class and parents. He worked so hard and was very ready to do this. I was excited with him, but I was also nervous, mainly because he has gotten upset when he's made mistakes in the past. And when I say upset, I mean crying hysterically because he didn't do something perfect on the first try. Today was the day he wanted to do it so we went to class and this was done at the end. He was next to last to be called and he did so well! He messed up one small part but corrected himself and finished it perfectly. I was so proud!
Anaka earned her's last week with a very few other students. But, Anaka has been working so hard to do everything he asks. They are learning to count to 10 in Korean and she had her Daddy download it so she could practice. Today, he asked for a volunteer to do it. She was the only one who raised her hand and she did it perfectly! This class has ages 3-12 so having a 6 year old being the only one willing and most likely the only one able was so awesome! I am just so proud of these two and can't wait to see where they go with this :)
Of course, not to be outdone, Will and Antonio are picking up on some commands as well so they have to show off

No comments:

Post a Comment