Thursday, May 26, 2011

There Are Good People

Every time you turn around, you hear about horrible things that people do. Every so often, you'll hear a "Feel Good" story that gives you hope that there are still good people in the world. We all know they are there, but sometimes hard to find. I know for a fact that there are good people and have to share. I am a member of an online Parenting community-- www.justmommies.com . Yeah yeah, I know what you are thinking because my husband thinks it too. I have heard the skeptical comments about how no one is real, they are all pedophiles trying to steal photos of your children, trying to get information to hunt you down....well, I am a member and I am not like that so I have to believe that these people are who they say. Of course, there are those that do fake who they are, but they have been far and few between. I have seen a lot of wonderful things happen through this community but have never openly discussed it because of the skeptics. I can no longer hold it in as I am so proud to be a part of this particular group. Let me share just a few stories that will help you understand:
* When we were the Nov. 08 Due Date Club, one of the mom's gave birth in July--yes, due in November, so you can see how frightening this was. We followed her story as she could--we cried with her, we cheered with every milestone that he passed, we were on the edge of our seats with every doctor's appt. When he turned 1, some of the other mom's even went to his birthday party--even flew from halfway across the country. For those that couldn't be there, a gift was organized for him--they put together a video of all our babies celebrating his birthday and many went in together and bought a gift. I am lucky enough that I also got to meet this miracle and his amazing mom last year ♥
* We have hosts for the board just to keep everything running smoothly so when the hosts had been there a year, scrapbooks were made, letters written, and gifts sent just to tell these people that they have made a difference in our lives!
* We have another mother who lost a child to meningitis (see Thankful) and she organized a balloon release in honor and memory of her son, Landan. We were right there releasing balloons with her to show our love and support.
* When one mom struggled with major life issues, those that were able to came together to do an amazing thing to help her get through difficult times.
*Lastly and most importantly, one of our little girls is going through something that no parent wants to have to go through. In September, she was diagnosed with retinoblastoma (cancer of the eye) and had to have her eye removed. She was doing fabulously but recently, there was a major setback. Her cancer has returned and it's spreading quickly. It's been devastating for all of us who have been there to follow her story. So what does this group do? They come together and are working magic--think money put together for a photographer to do family portraits, a scrapbook is being made of all of our children and us sending well wishes and messages of support, gifts are being made to help her through her treatment, gifts are being sent to help keep her and her baby sister occupied while in the hospital, and so much more.

And these are just a few stories. This group is so supportive that it's so hard to believe. I have been lucky enough to meet 3 of the mothers and their adorable children and many of the others have met on multiple occasions and have become true friends who rely on each other. When one goes through a tough time, we are there with support and prayers. I know so many are skeptical of my involvement in this community, but I for one am proud to be a part of it! It's been truly amazing to see what people who came to this community for support during pregnancy, knowing no one else, become such wonderful friends!

6 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you! Our group is one of the best ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a better Mom because of these gals. No doubt. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Joedee..I am not only a better mother but a better person because of all of our girls. I love each and everyone of you like a sister. Great post Valerie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a very sweet blog entry! Brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this Valerie! Our group is amazing and I am so lucky to have you all. I'm proud of my JM mommy friends :)

    ReplyDelete