Monday, December 5, 2011

Making Snowman Pops

It's become a necessity to take treats to your child's class on his or her birthday so today was my turn. Troy is not a cake or cupcake child. He loves the idea, proceeds to eat the icing, then say "Mommy, I don't like this" and throws the rest away. It makes me cringe everytime I see all that food go wasted and I personally don't want to eat every single one that he or Will (who is the exact same way) throw away. I wasn't sure what to do and came across Snowman Pops in Parents magazine. They are oreo cookies, marshmallows and vanilla and chocolate coating. PERFECT! However, I am not great at reproducing these awesome ideas I see so I enlisted some help from the husband. We tackled this chore Sunday afternoon. Yes, we passed up watching football so you know just how important this was for us!
What you need:
Oreos
Mini chocolate chips for making eyes and mouth
Orange candy or orange icing for nose
Large Marshmallows for hats
Vanilla Candy Melts or Vanilla CandiQuick
Chocolate Candy Melts or Chocolate CandiQuick
Lollipop Sticks
Foam Block
1) Melt the vanilla candy melts as directed and dip the oreos in it to completely cover. I did this by hand and smoothed the edges/adding more coating as needed with the back of a spoon. Set on wax paper. Add the chocolate chips to eyes and mouth while it's setting so that they set into the coating. Trim the orange candy or apply the orange icing to make the nose

2) To make the hats, melt the chocolate candy melts (I used a fondue pot). While melting, twist oreos to separate the 2 halves. Set them out filling side up (I applied vanilla candy coating to those that twisted off with no icing) on wax paper. Dip marshmallows in chocolate to completely cover, let excess drip off and then place on top of the cookie while wet. Shake on white snow (you can use powdered sugar or white nonpareils) while wet.


This is where it got hard for me and the husband had to take over as he's much more patient and steady handed than me!
3) One at a time, dip the tip of the lollipop stick in the melted vanilla coating (you will need to reheat and stir in 15 sec intervals as needed). Dip the end of a cookie in the coating and then "insert" (It doesn't really go into the cookie, but more the candy "glues" the stick onto the cookie).

Set aside on the wax paper and let set (this doesn't take long at all). When all are finished and set, move to the hats.

Have foam block ready!
4) Dip the snowman head into vanilla coating (again, reheat as needed) and add the hat. Jay found that holding it upside down onto the hat to let the candy start to set was best. Then put into foam block to set. Repeat with all and voila!


Now, we had lots of candy left over and couldn't waste it so we just dipped more oreos in it, sprinkled with whatever sugar/nonpareils we had left and I took those as a special treat for the teachers/school staff! These were super easy and just as yummy!

Now a couple tips:
1) We thought that we could use a popsicle stick. It didn't work like shown, but I am thinking if you dip the stick in coating and the cookie in coating and set the cookie on the stick, it will "glue" together and save that step that I had so many problems with.
2) Someone said that Double Stuffed oreos would have been better LOL
3) Get some willpower because these are really good and you may find yourself with no treats for the class!
4) Don't put final products near A) a clumsy person (ie. like me as I knocked 3 hats off and Jay politely told me to find something else to do) or B) a 3 year old with no impulse control.....

No comments:

Post a Comment