Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day--2 In 1

Part I:
Today is a very special day and one that all Mother's look forward to each year. For some, it's the only day of the year they feel appreciated. For some, it's a day of pampering--sleeping in, breakfast in bed, a day to do whatever. For others, it's a day to spend with their family and just enjoy being a mom. For me, today was a tad frustrating, but only from my own doing. I had thoughts of how I wanted today to go but just never planned anything. I did not care about the gifts although what I was given was very appreciated. I honestly didn't even know what I *really* wanted. Part of me wanted a day to spend doing nothing but enjoying my family. Another part wanted to go out and do something different. Unfortunately, I realized too late what I trulywanted to do and so I am frustrated because I didn't think of it early enough. I wanted to do something with my sister--something that would make her realize how amazing she is and how wonderful she's been while my brother in law has been in Iraq. If anyone deserved a day of pampering and being made to feel like a princess, it's her. Not only is she parenting her 2 young children (ages 5 and 2) alone, she's a phenomenal 2nd grade teacher. This means, all day she's "on"--she's teaching, organizing, grading, mentoring, and disciplining. Even after the children go to bed, she's having to do more of the same as any other teacher knows--when the school day ends, teachers are still working. It's been a hard year for her and she truly deserved something special this year and I am kicking myself for not making it happen. I only hope that she knows how much I admire her and am in awe of her. I have always thought she was a wonderful mother, a fantastic teacher and a great person, but watching her over this year.....well, I don't even have the words to express how much I respect her. Happy Mother's Day to the most wonderful sister!

Part II:
I had another idea for a Mother's Day blog but felt like I needed to do the other part first but I didn't want to NOT do this one:
To my children on Mother's Day,
I always knew that I wanted children. I always joked that I only wanted boys since I didn't think I would understand "girl" stuff being the tomboy that I am. I never had any idea if this would ever become a reality, but I cannot even begin to tell you how happy I am that my dreams have come true. I cannot say that parenting is the easiest thing I have done. There are days when I feel like I am failing and days when I feel like I could win awards because you boys are so amazing. I just know that I am so blessed that you boys are mine! There are so many things I have enjoyed, so many things I am looking forward to and so many things I want to see you experience. I have so many hopes and wishes for you boys and will do anything to help you in whatever you choose to do. Mother's Day is usually a time set aside to honor your mother and the other important women in your life, but I felt it important to tell you how grateful and blessed I am. There truly is nothing greater than being a mother so I thank God for the chance--the trials and tribulations and the joys. I love you both to pieces!



No comments:

Post a Comment