Monday, January 9, 2012

My public apology

I have a confession. I have judged. I know it's not up to me to judge and I shouldn't do it, but I cannot help it. Sometimes I hear something and I form an opinion. I think (or say, but I usually keep my judgements to myself) that I would never do that or let me child do that. That being whatever it is that I don't necessarily agree with of course. Sometimes, it's something that most sane people would never agree with either, but sometimes, it's not quite as obvious to others. What I need to apologize for--mainly to my sister--is something I have heard people doing (or in the case of my sister, had to do for her when I babysat my niece) that I just thought was ridiculous. It's piddly, but I do feel horrible for having judged. In this case, That is waking a child early from napping or not allowing them to nap so that nighttime would be easier. I always thought it was so silly and selfish. I had always heard and thought that the more well rested a young child was during the day, the better they would sleep at night because they didn't get overtired (that dreaded overtired every parent worries about). And I also thought that if your child fought you going to bed, you just had to be consistent and they would eventually figure out that you "meant business". Now of course, I know there are children that take fighting bedtime to an extreme and a parent had to take drastic measures, but in most circumstances, I just felt that consistency was key. So why am I apologizing for my judgement now? Three guesses and the first 2 don't count. Will. Now, I am in the same situation. Troy rarely fought going to bed. On occassion, he would, but for the most part, he has always gone to bed and right to sleep (he'll get up before the sun, but that's a different problem). Will? Well, let's just say that I have considered getting rid of his nap--just so bedtime would be easier (can you see my hanging my head in shame at my judgement?) We limit him now and do the exact same thing my sister made me do with my niece--WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T LET HIM SLEEP PAST 2:30......and if you do....AAAUUUGGHHHH!!! When it's 10pm and he's still reading and doing puzzles, it's easy to realize that there ARE some children that just don't need long naps or any at all (as much as we like/need/want that time during the day). What used to be putting them to bed and me vegging in front of the TV/computer or reading has turned into an all out frustration. So now I am taking those measures to ensure that when it's bedtime, Will is ready.
So here's my apology. To all those who have done the waking them up or not allowing them to nap at all......I apologize from the bottom of my heart. I will never judge again. Okay, that's a lie. I will (and will keep it to myself unless it's something really dangerous) but for most things I will understand that there are certain children (AHEM...Will) that keep you on your toes and don't follow all those typical parenting books with the lovely advice most moms have read. So my promise is that until I have been there and done that, I will be more understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment