Saturday, July 10, 2010

It's a Mom Thing

There are so many things that we do as Moms that others just don't understand--particularly dads. Of course, there are lots of things that Dads do that we as moms will never get. Like the throwing the child in the air?? What is that about anyway? I do it a tad only because Will absolutely loves it, but it's nothing compared to what Daddy can do. Anyway, my mind is wandering again. Back on track now. My cousin has a 6 week old and reading her blog and status updates on Facebook really bring back the memories of my boys as newborns. It's such a tough time when you are just really trying to figure it all out while you are so tired and overwhelmed. But there are things that we do as mom's that are odd, but it starts immediately and many times, doesn't stop! It's definitely a mom thing.

Raise your hand if you have done this (or still do):
*Check on your child/ren when they are sleeping? I check Will at nap and on both boys at bed. If I don't, I just can't sleep. I just need to see them one more time! And when they were infants? Man, I was in there ALL the time checking breathing--it was almost obsessive! And if they are actually napping well---well, that definitely needs a checking on, right?

*Give the babysitters or family members full out details on EVERYTHING from what they should eat, how much, what time, how to handle crying, bedtime/naptime routine, what is snack...etc. I laughed at my sister because she had a detailed 4 page list for her babysitter, even down to how to make a bottle. I teased her and then realized one day that I pretty much do the same thing, I just didn't type it. It was handwritten. (For the record, I didn't put how to make a bottle, but considering the first person who watched Troy didn't realize that you put a liner in the Playtex nurser and proceeded to dump breast milk all over the counter....maybe it's not a bad idea)

*Not able to relinquish control? I still want to step in whenever Jay is with the boys and they are fussing or upset about something. He is so patient and will just keep trying and it always works out, but I really have to hold back from going in to save the day. I mean, Mom's just fix everything. There are certain things that I have finally become okay with, but I find myself just doing everything I can so that when he's in charge, there's not much to really do. I make dinners ahead of time, pick out pj's, fill cups, clean up, lay stuff out that needs to be taken care of....it's pretty ridiculous and I swear that Jay is not a moron, I just feel the need to control as much as I can.

There is so much else that we as mom's do and the list could go on and on. I am not saying we should stop, I just wanted it to be clear that it's typical. It's a mom thing. Now, I have to go check on my boys before I go to bed.....

No comments:

Post a Comment