Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Going a Bit Overboard

I am wondering when all this started? Is this a new thing or have I just been so oblivious since my boys are so young? When did children start graduating 4-5 times in their school career? My niece graduates Preschool Friday. They have Kindergarten graduation, 5th grade graduation, 8th grade graduation and then finally High School graduation. Of course, there is college graduation for those that move on. When did this happen? When I was a kid (many moons ago), we had 7th grade graduation because that was the year before we moved to high school. (Yes, our high school was 8th -12th grades--small town, you know). I get that....somewhat. I don't necessarily consider it a graduation, but whatever. No biggee. But a graduation ceremony for preschool, kindergarten, 5th grade AND 8th grade? I just don't get it. It's a special time and I know that when my boys' time comes, I will be right there celebrating this step in their lives, but I can't say that I really agree with it. In my opinion--take it or leave it--it really makes graduation LESS special when 12th grade comes. I mean, been there, done that...right? I just wonder when this started and whose idea was it? Also, when did they start having middle school class rings? My parents would have been crazy to buy me a ring at that age. I lost everything so what a waste of money for them. Boy, did they get lucky having me so many eons ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment