Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Lessons from Kindergarten

We are learning an awful lot from kindergarten--*we* being me and Will, not Troy. Sure, he's learning quite a bit, but the lessons seem to be more for us than anything (me more than Will though).
1) I am a control freak. Yep. I had an idea I had issues, but until Troy started school, I had no idea how much of one. In Preschool, his teacher gave us a folder every day that had something in it--a great day sticker, homework, a letter, work from the day....I loved knowing what was going on. Kindergarten--not so much. I know it's hard for 18-21 students so I understand but I feel so lost and frustrated not know how he's doing. In his words, he's behaving and doing everything right, but is he........???
2) I had no idea that I needed to explain to throw away the trash from lunch. Didn't realize that he would bring home leftover pudding UNCOVERED, banana peels, mandarin orange cups with juice still in it. His lunch bag has been used a total of 4 days and it's disgusting.
3) Didn't realize that I also needed to explain that as sweet as it is to want Will to be included, he needed to be told NOT to try to save popsicles for him
And here I was worrying more about letters, numbers, social skills.....
4) When parents told me to expect my child to be hungry after school, they did not tell me that he would act like he hadn't eaten in weeks. Yesterday after school, he had 4 PB crackers, fruit snacks, raisins, and carrots and BEGGED FOR MORE!
5) And on the same note, yes, I was warned that he would be a little tired and grumpy, but I was not expecting that every day at 5pm, he would act like he was possessed
6)Will has learned that he gets a lot of attention at pick up and really likes it so let's just say, he's very good at getting it (in other words, he's LOUD)
7) Will also has learned that he misses his big brother. He enjoys his time one on one, but he's refusing to nap because I mentioned that after nap we would go pick up Troy. Soooo, in toddler rationale, I won't nap so therefore, we pick Troy up now.
There are more, but since I most go deal with the child having a party in his room.....

1 comment:

  1. This post made me laugh out loud (something I don't normally do from reading something). We're going through the same things over here with Bay in kindergarten. Thanks for vocalizing it and making my day!

    ReplyDelete