Sunday, October 30, 2011

What I Have Learned....

So some people have asked how things are going since my surgery and overall things are good. I still have a LOOONNNGGGG way to go, but for the most part, I cannot shouldn't complain.. Things are healing, the catheter is out, however I still have lots of limitations which is the hardest part. I am mentally more than ready to get back into a normal routine, but at the same time, I totally understand the limitations. Physically, my body isn't ready for the routine and lets me know when I have overdone it so it's not like I can do and do like before. My body screams at me until I finally nap or at least rest a bit. The leg? Well, still numb, but my strength is improving so no more cane or walker and I can *almost* walk up steps normally. Going down steps is a whole different story, BUT I am making progress.
So here's a few things I have learned over the past few weeks:
* Jay actually makes a pretty good stay at home dad. Yes, he was ready to get back to work, but he handled it better than I thought (not that he had a choice, but still)
* I am very glad that I was addicted for exercise because I don't know how I would have recovered as quickly as I did without being in decent shape. I really think the leg would be causing more issues and I would most likely still have the cane
* I am going to have to do lots more online shopping than actually attempting to take my slow self into stores
* Although I feel like a loner sometimes, I am a lot more social than I ever realized. 2 weeks of being home bound was tough!
* I am a beast to be around when I am sick/hurt/stuck at home--absolute miserable person to be around. Sorry to those who took the brunt of the mood
* Wearing heels and a weak leg are NOT a good mix. Must.stick.with.sneakers (now I have a great excuse for wearing sweats/athletic clothes all the time)
* I hate asking for help and it didn't get easier. AT ALL
* I have major control issues

and lastly and most importantly:
*Although this situation has been a challenge for me, I am so blessed to have had so many people showing support and helping my family in so many ways. I received so many calls and cards, had dinners made and groceries brought to us, magazines and books given to me....it definitely made life easier. I am in awe and the number of people who have helped! So a huge thank you to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment