Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Review Of Big Book of Why...

Before I go on, let me just explain. I received an opportunity to review this book as part of blogging for justmommies.com. I jumped at the chance as I have been looking for a book just like this and had decided that it would be my life mission to create a book like this for parents so they would have the answer to ALL the questions that children can ask if I couldn't find it. When this opportunity came about, I could not have been more excited.

Here are the basics:
Title: Time for Kids Big Book of Why: 1001 Facts Kids Want to Know
Reading level: Geared for children age 9-12

This book is exactly what it says--tons of questions broken down by category that kids and yes, even us parents want to know. It is extremely informative, interesting and a very quick read. I really appreciated the questions being broken down into categories because I was able to look quickly and find the answers to questions Troy has often (his mainly deal with weather and technology) but I found myself finding questions that I had always wanted the answer to as well, such as how the Green Bay Packers got their name (yes, a I am sports nut, so I turned to that section first). It also includes "Why Facts" (Did you know....the average human heart beats around 100,000 times a day), resources on each section where you can expand to even more questions and a glossary.

Here are the categories and just a couple examples of questions in each:
Animals
Why do cats always land on their feet?
Why do camels have humps?
Earth
Why can I float in the ocean?
Why does the ocean have waves?
Space
Why does the moon appear to change its shape?
Why do some planets have rings?
Humans
Why does hair turn gray?
Why do I get goose bumps?
People and Places
Why is the Tower of Pisa leaning
Why are some deserts increasing in size?
History
Why did the Maya build pyramids?
What was the Iron Curtain?
Science
Why does salt melt ice?
Why does temperature change?
Technology
How did email start?
Why do some cars get better gas mileage than others?
Art and Culture
Who is the real Dr. Suess?
What was the first Rock 'n' Roll song?
Sports
Why is fishing called Angling?
Why does a curve ball curve?

~~~
This is just a very small sampling of what is in the book. It's full of fun and important information that kids (and parents) will love reading. I was hoping that it would be more geared towards my preschoolers questions but it is meant for children age 9-12. I was able to use it to answer a few, but I will definitely be referring to it quite a bit over the next few years and I am sure that when he learns to read, it will be a intriguing reference for him. My sister is a 2nd grade teacher and she has already asked to see it as well! I will most likely be purchasing this to send as gifts to my young nieces!

If you would like to purchase this book, here's the link!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1603208429/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=060W0CXQJDFNJQ5CHY7X&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

1 comment:

  1. I love that you were given this opportunity, how very exciting! In addition, your review is great! It has made me want to purchase the book as I have an extremely inquisitive soon-to-be 9-year-old. At first glance of title alone I wasn't sure it would be something of interest but I love the categories and the questions are true to what is asked. Looking forward to having this handy tool available. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete