I love love love love baby showers. I just love seeing all the beautiful outfits and cool toys or gadgets that others give. I love showering these tiny little babes with love and things they need or things parents could use. I often hear comments that bother me though. "Showers are for welcoming a woman into motherhood and only for 1st children". "Why is she having ANOTHER baby shower? She already has 2 (or insert another number here) children." "She already has everything she needs so why is she having another shower?" "I swear some women have children just so they get gifts." (And yes, I really have heard someone say that) "I think it's tacky to have a shower for someone if it's their 2nd (or 3rd or 4th...) child". And so on and so on. These comments bother me because why is only the 1st child okay to shower with love? Why shouldn't EVERY baby be celebrated--regardless of the mother's situation? Remember, showers are about the baby who had no choice in the situation so why should the 3rd or 4th (or more) baby be slighted? And people who make the comments about the mother having children just for gifts, let me ask this. How many moms actually organize their own shower? Usually it's someone in their life that wants to do this for them. Now, there are some exceptions and you run across a mom who organizes her own or demands someone throw a shower for them, but that's a whole different post. What I am referring to are showers given out of love and kindness for whatever pregnancy this may be. Of course, the question still remains about gifts. What if the mother truly has everything they need? Well, then you just have to get creative. Here are a few ideas I have run across in my years of going to many showers. Maybe just maybe one will help you if you ever run into this issue!
1) The gift of the major (and truly very expensive) necessity. Find out the diaper brand the mom prefers to use and bring a package in the various sizes and a package of wipes. She's cloth diapering? No problem. Find out what she has or needs and you can add to their collection! Or do a GC for a site that sells cloths and accessories like www.thanksmama.com. Or get the supplies they need to launder them like Rockin Green soap.
2) Pamper Mommy gifts--Get the mom things that could help her relax or help her when the baby comes. Think spa type GCs with free babysitting if you are able(or money to pay a sitter). Plan to have someone come in and clean (if the mom is okay with this) or again, arrange for childcare if the mom prefers to do it herself (not that I know anyone like that.........).
3) This was something a friend of mine did and I thought it was awesome. Help the mom by giving the gift of ease. Prepare 1 or more meals ahead of time that can be frozen and then she or the hubby could just pop it in the oven for a yummy meal that required little to no effort.
4) Gift certificates for a photo shoot or GC to a site like Shutterfly or Snapfish. You know mom is going to appreciate the gift of pictures!
5) If you know the mom will relish some time out with hubby, think about GC's for a Date Night. Again offer or arrange child care, and get them a night out to eat or to the movies or whatever.
6) Does the mom like scrapbooking? Get an album and some supplies for her so she can do it without having to fork out the money. That stuff gets expensive so help her out!
7) As a person who loves books, the gift of books is always welcome. So get the baby started with a wonderful assortment--think board books, the classics and ones they will enjoy as they get into toddler or preschooler stage!
8) And these are some of the cutest things I have seen and I would have loved them for my boys to show growth month to month: Culpeper General. There are also some cute shirts for the expectant moms!
I am sure there are tons of other creative ideas out there so if you have other great ideas that aren't the "norm", share! We all know the basics, but what have you done or seen that would be an awesome idea???