Sunday, May 30, 2010

Memorial Day Ramblings

Memorial Day has become very important to our family. We have always remembered our family and friends who have served in the Armed Forces, but this year, it just hits closer to home. My brother in law is in the Army Reserves and is about to be deployed for the 2nd time in 7 years. He served in Operation Iraqi Freedom 2002-2003 and is set to leave for another year sometime in the near future. He leaves my sister with their 2 young children (4 1/2 and 21 months). As anyone can imagine this is very hard on all of them. He is a very proud soldier and enjoys his job however, he knows that he will be missing so much. Last time he left, he and my sister were dating and it was hard enough. This time, it's going to be unimagineable how things are before he leaves. He does have 3 weeks that he can focus on his family and preparing himself and them as he leaves, but can you truly prepare children of that age? I just don't know. My niece seems to get it and it's been hard since he's had to leave often for training. She's had nightmares already :( My nephew is just too young to understand. Hopefully he won't be too young to remember Daddy when he returns. Luckily, they are doing everything they can to make this as easy on the children as possible and it's truly taking a village--his family, our family and the support groups available to military spouses.
I just can't even imagine how military spouses deal with these situations. My thoughts are with those who serve. I think anyone who can devote their life to ANY branch of the armed services are amazing individuals. I remember those who have lost their lives and hope they know they are the true heroes. My heart goes out to the families who deal with this on a regular basis. This must be so tough. But I have to say that when it comes down to it, I think Military spouses are incredible, strong men and women. I not only salute the men and women of the armed forces, I salute the spouses that are left behind to take on theie responsibilities at home. Happy Memorial Day to all! Please remember those who serve, who have served and who lost their lives during service. God Bless

No comments:

Post a Comment